My late husband absolutely loved pancakes with fruit on Sunday morning. It was a real treat for him and he smiled abundantly the rest of the day. Okay so maybe there were ‘other’ reasons he smiled on Sunday, our day together! However, this recipe for Banana Bread French Toast is yet another reason I believe he would have smiled at me. This decadent breakfast treat is a great way to start the day. It’s so delicious you’ll wish you could eat it every morning.
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (**See note below)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 loaf banana bread
- confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla with a fork. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Slice banana bread into 4 thick slices. Dip each slice into egg mixture, then place in hot pan. Cook each side until golden brown. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving, if desired. Oh so pretty!
Makes four servings or, if you’d like smaller slices it’s simple enough to cut into 3/4 inch slices and you have more servings to devour and enjoy.
Cut up some slices of fresh banana and place on top. Or if you prefer, place fresh fruit like sliced strawberries, or blueberries and blackberries, for instance, on top for another effect and still maintain that special “oohh” effect on your company. Add butter, syrup and voila … a bit of heavenly tasting in your mouth.
**NOTE: If you don’t have condensed milk in the house, and you don’t want to buy a can just for a few spoons, don’t worry. You can use what you have in the refrigerator – ie., if you use fat free 1/2 and 1/2, use that. If you have flavored International Delight (such as Cinnamon) or such other for your coffee, please use that. The flavors will blend wonderfully!
This recipe is great for Sunday morning treats and fantastic for guests on special events or holidays. Your family and friends will love it so much, they’ll haunt you for the recipe. You could smile and tell them it’s a secret recipe!!